2020 may go down in the history books as one of the most challenging years of all time, but November would not be November, Thanksgiving would not be Thanksgiving, without friends and family coming together – whether in person, at a distance or via video call – to enjoy the most celebrated and sentimental holiday in our nation.
Piedmont Restaurants Welcoming Guests for Thanksgiving Dinner
From four-star restaurants to more casual diners, there are plenty of places to enjoy a traditional Thanksgiving meal here in the Triangle, even during these challenging times of face masks and social distancing. Some dining establishments that are normally open on Thanksgiving simply will not open their doors this year, but many restaurants will continue the tradition of offering Thanksgiving lunch and/or dinner options, although for all, seating and hours will likely be limited. Most will also offer take-out meals in addition to, or even rather than, traditional seated dining.
- Many Triangle families enjoy a traditional, buffet-style Thanksgiving dinner each year at Angus Barn, which has evolved, in 2020, into a wonderful gourmet plated meal of roast turkey, ham and several delicious sides.
- Pittsboro’s The Carolina Inn will serve Thanksgiving brunch either as a full-fledged, traditional sit-down meal or as ‘brunch-to-go’: roast turkey and ham, seven mouthwatering sides, and a choice of three gourmet pies. https://store.carolinainn.com/products/thanksgiving-brunch
- Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse in Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro and Cary will offer dine-in or take-home meals, with a Thanksgiving menu highlighted by turkey with sausage and sage stuffing, lobster bisque, creamed spinach, and pumpkin cheesecake.
- The Capital Grille’s five-star Thanksgiving menu will include three courses of favorites including slow-roasted turkey with brioche stuffing, cranberry-pear chutney and more. Those opting for the take-away meal will be treated to pecan-crusted sweet potatoes with hot honey.
- Take your holiday dining to another level of deliciousness with Gravy’s superb Thanksgiving dinner package featuring roast turkey with rosemary jus, festive meat and cheese board, and pumpkin cheesecake.
- The Siena Hotel’s Il Palio restaurant will be offering such unique dishes as Tuscan kale and bean soup, caramelized mushroom torta, roasted turkey with truffle gravy, and special late-night snack kit for a tasty après-Thanksgiving feast!
- For those with a taste for fried turkey, North Carolina’s own Bojangles will be offering seasoned, deep-fried whole turkeys that will be delivered pre-cooked, frozen, and ready to re-heat. Check out your local restaurant for more information!
Give Thanks with Those in Need
Opportunities exist in many communities for volunteers to help out in churches and various non-profits on or around Thanksgiving Day. Reach out to any of the following charitable organizations should you wish to donate your time or other resources.
- Volunteers are needed at the Raleigh Rescue Mission to prepare, pack and deliver hot meals and groceries on Thanksgiving morning.
- Contact Raleigh’s Inter-faith Food Shuttle for volunteer opportunities and information on donations supporting food deliveries on Thanksgiving and beyond.
- No additional serving volunteers are needed for the Durham Rescue Mission’s traditional Thanksgiving Day dinner, but volunteers and food and cash donations will be needed to replenish stocks post-Thanksgiving and throughout the winter months. Donations will provide a hot holiday meal and more to many neighbors in the Durham community.
- Raleigh’s Salvation Army delivers Thanksgiving grocery baskets with all the ingredients for a wonderful home-cooked holiday meal to local families in need. Contact the Salvation Army for more information on volunteering and making monetary donations this holiday season.
- Reach out to the Smithfield Rescue Mission with your food or cash donation prior to Thanksgiving week, or to help deliver boxes of food on Thanksgiving Day. A limited number of volunteers are also being accepted to help serve meals at the Mission.
Fun Thanksgiving Weekend Events
Raleigh’s annual Christmas Carousel gift market at the NC State Fairgrounds will again be taking place this year, although with plenty of additional health and safety measures in place including wider aisles, increased cleaning and sanitation, contactless ticketing and a limited number of guests allowed inside.
Otherwise, check out a wonderful list of local Thanksgiving weekend hike suggestions from Chimney Rock to Spring Lake to Nags Head, provided by NC State Parks!
For tips on North Carolina Land Sales, NC Land and Farms for Sale in Central North Carolina, NC Farms and Land for Sale, or Financing for NC Land, please contact the professionals at Legacy Farms and Ranches of North Carolina.